Friday, December 14, 2007

Final Notes

Since my last post, I discovered a few errors in my Lab 3 & 4. The error reporting from the submit server (lab4) was not according to specs. Therefore, lab3 did not function for error conditions. Once I fixed that, I discovered that the format of the actual message was also not according to specs.

The lesson to be learned here is 1) read the lab specs often and 2) to stick to the specs even if you see something better. The mindset which is needed in enterprise computing is that you are building components that will function in a collective. Therefore, there is an intrinsic coupling which cannot be broken if you intend to function with your neighbors. This coupling is the interface.

My errors weren't because I ignored the requirements, but that I am so used to being autonomous that it did not occur to me that I am dependent on other systems or that I support other systems. Once you understand the collaborative nature of the pieces of the enterprise solution then your approach to solutions will reflect the entirety of the solution and not only the piece you are working on at the moment.

I still believe Java was great to use because it taught me skills and methodologies specific for my job. But if you do not have this requirement, PHP & Python may be a better solutions because 1) the Python libraries are more useful and 2) it is more web-centric versus Java which is more processing centric.

No comments: